Tile has been used as a roofing material since time immemorial. There are plenty of compelling reasons why tile is superior when compared to other roofing materials. Tile is exceptionally resistant to the elements, including water, fire, and wind.
It is impervious to insect damage and rot. Unlike other roofing materials that are made from chemicals, tile is made from earth minerals. It is no wonder tile roofs are hailed as one of the most sustainable, eco-friendly roofing options available.
Like every other roofing material, tile needs periodic care and maintenance. A well-maintained tile roof can last beyond 100 years. Regular maintenance prevents problems. Well-maintained roofs are reliable and need less frequent repairs, and can save owners headaches and hundreds or even thousands of dollars on roofing repairs down the road.
Follow these tips from an expert tile roof company in Alamo to maintain your tile roof all year round.
Inspect Your Roof Periodically
Tile roofs are extremely durable, but still need to be inspected regularly for problems such as broken or missing tiles, voids, organic debris between tiles, and spalling. Replace damaged sections in a timely manner to prevent further damage.
Inspect the flashing for cracks, warped metal, and rust. Make sure it is snug against the shingles and is not lifting off the roof. Check the fascia board for cracks, splinters, and discoloration. A damaged fascia board should be repaired or replaced.
Tile is very fragile. Be very careful when walking on your roof as the tile surface can crack due to the stress. Distribute your weight over an area wider than your foot. Use plywood walkways with foam backs when moving across your tile roof. Avoid walking along the delicate edges or along specially cut tiles.
Clean Your Roof Regularly
Dirt and dust collecting on your roof is a recipe for disaster. An unclean roof can become an eyesore. In addition to negatively affecting your home’s aesthetic appeal, an unclean roof can become a breeding ground for algae, lichens, and moss.
Cleaning your tile roof regularly will keep it looking great and add years to its service life. Spray your roof with clean water to dislodge loose dirt and debris. Be careful when using a pressure washer and choose one with a setting of no higher than 1,200-1,500 psi.
Start at the ridge of your roof gradually moving down towards your gutters. After the roof has dried completely, apply a chemical treatment formulated to kill organic life such as moss, lichen, and algae.
Let the treatment sit on your tiles so that they get enough time to soak it up before rinsing your roof off with clean water. Stick to a cleaning schedule so that you do not let debris on your roof.
A tree branch hanging over your roof can fall on it, causing major damage. Check the growth of branches hanging over your roof and trim as required at least once every year.
Gutters can become clogged over time. A clogged gutter cannot move water away from the home. Be sure to inspect and clean your gutters regularly. Do not let dirt and debris clog them. Install gutter guards to prevent leaves and debris from clogging your gutters.
Schedule Professional Inspection and Maintenance Periodically
Have your contractor inspect your roof at least twice a year. Some roofing problems can hide in plain sight. You might miss these issues, but your roofing contractor won’t.
During a maintenance session, your roofer will perform a visual inspection. They will diagnose and treat problems before they snowball into costly repairs. An experienced contractor will be able to predict future roofing problems and prevent them from occurring.
During a maintenance session, your roofer will:
- Check the flashing for rust and caulk for cracks
- Repair or replace cracked and worn rubber boots around vent pipes
- Check shingles for excessive wear and tear
- Clean your roof
- Inspect the chimney and perform necessary repairs
- Check different areas of your roof for leaks
- Inspect and clean/unclog gutters
Take Steps to Protect Your Roof Against Damage
Here are some additional steps you can take to minimize wear and tear on different parts of your roof and keep it looking great for years.
- Buff Tiles: Over time, tile produces a chalky deposit. This deposit does not affect the structural integrity of tile, but can dull the sheen of the surface of your roof. To maintain the aesthetic appeal of your roof, buff tiles with a clean rag regularly.
- Paint Your Roof: An acrylic paint will provide a durable waterproof finish, while drastically improving the appearance of your roof. Look for a mildew-resistant paint.
- Apply Primer: An alkyd primer will create a protective layer around your roof. This layer will reflect the sun’s rays to reduce wear and tear and regulate your home’s temperature in summer.
- Apply a Roof Sealing Treatment: Use an acrylic sealant designed to help maintain the color and durability of existing tile.
Roof Tile Custom Specialists is a reputable tile roof company in Alamo. We will help you keep your roof looking at its best and performing optimally. To schedule an appointment, contact us at (925) 634-8700.